Confessions of a Shopaholic Movie



Isla Fisher: The Girl in the Green Scarf



Sophie Kinsella's best-selling novel Confessions of a Shopaholic hits the movie screen this year. Hollywood actress Isla Fisher plays the role of Rebecca (Becky) Bloomwood, a financial journalist who gives advice on how to spend money wisely when ironically, she herself is having big trouble managing her shopping addiction. Problem is she can't afford living the life of a socialite but she aims to have them all - including closets full of designer clothes, bags, and shoes.

The movie is an eye candy but I can't really say that it's great. Some scenes weren't taken from the novel so I am somewhat disappointed. I enjoyed the talking mannequins but there is a feeling of exaggeration in my part. Well, that's Hollywood reality. And, I really don't like Isla Fisher but I commend her for a bubbly & entertaining performance.

I'll remember this movie because of the "Green Scarf". Becky writes as "The Girl in the Green Scarf" to keep the debt collector (Derek Smeath) from tracking her down. She's one funny scheming lady who suffered the consequences yet in the end when she realized she has to undo her mistakes she found the most important things in life - family, friends, and love. (Shopping not included in the list!)


Being a shopaholic myself I couldn't help but drool over Becky's wardrobe. I haven't imagined how an outfit with too many colors still looks nice.. Well at least on her..






With Luke Brandon, the love of her life.


Cute dress she wore at Suze's wedding.




Lessons Learned:
  • Cut back and/or Make more money (quoted from the novel) - find ways to cut your expenses and earn extra money.
  • Try mixing and matching outfits and colors - be very creative!
  • Do not be a poser! You can still look fabulous even if you're wearing clothes from a thrift shop. It's how you wear it that matters most.
  • Deal with your debts early!
  • Don't get a credit card if you can't control your shopping addiction. (One reason I don't apply for a credit card!)
  • Control your habits or they will control you!
  • Spend within your means. But I suggest you spend below your means to save more money. (From someone like me who doesn't know how to save! Becky style!)


Remember, shopping is not a sin.. Unless you worship it. :)



Comments