Autumn jackets and winter coats' main job is to keep you warm and dry, but it won't hurt to try on a trend to make you look more chic and fabulous. Here are tips on how to choose the perfect jacket that fits your budget and personality.
- Type and Style. Choose from peacoats, pant coats, cocoon coats, trench coats, walk coats, parkas, anoraks, bomber jackets, plus size jacket, and ski jackets.
- Fabric and Function. Know the function of each and every fabric/material for jackets. For example, wool and cashmere are best for keeping you warm, while nylon or polyester shed water easily and can keep you dry in rain or snow.
- Neutrals. Invest in neutral colored coats - black, brown, gray, and white. They go with just about anything in your wardrobe.
- Coat features and use. These include pockets, hoods, zip-out linings, sealed waterproof seams and zippers, underarm zippers, chest pockets, breathable lining and durable ripstop fabrications. Formal jackets should have minimal features, not like the jackets for outdoor activities.
- Price. Invest in a couple of coats that you think you can use for years and scrimp on jackets that won't last a season trend.